For so many years, black people felt that they were not good enough or beautiful enough or even worthy to fit a certain type of environment just because of the color of their skin. One may argue that this is the story of many black people who for history were taken away from what they knew, their roots and placed into a new world where everything was different. Minds and perceptions were changed in the process and the seed of inferiority was planted. The story doesn’t change much for African’s living in Africa where people use every means to alter their skin color to appeal to the masses and feel more beautiful.
Times have changed. We are the rulers of our minds and thoughts and we can “untell” ourselves what we have been told by the entire world that black is not beautiful. Black in fact is beautiful. And who says we need the approval of anyone to love, appreciate, embrace and be proud of who we are? BLACK and UNAPOLOGETICALLY BEAUTIFULLY MADE.
Here are some quotes by some famous and influential people who pay homage to their rich dark and brown self and you should do same.
Quotes About Black Beauty
1. “Dipped in chocolate, bronzed in elegance, enamelled with grace, toasted with beauty. My lord, she’s a black woman.” – Yosef A.A. Ben-Jochannan
2. “Your deep Mahogany skin may not resemble that of the others in your family, but it’s just as gorgeous, and you’re just as worthy … One day you’ll appreciate how much your brown skin shines in the moonlight, glistens in the sun and ages ever so slowly.” – Gabrielle Union
2. “The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness”. – Marcus Garvey
3. “Do not gaze at me because I am dark, because the sun has looked upon me”. – Song of Solomon 1:6
4. “You’re asking me why I love my brown skin. Well really, it’s simply because it’s mine. It’s the only skin I’m ever gonna get”. – Ty Alexander
5. “I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow dammed up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes. . . . Even in the helter-skelter skirmish that is my life, I have seen that the world is to the strong regardless of a little pigmentation more or less. No, I do not weep at the world—I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.” – Zora Neale Hurston
6. “I am black, not because of a curse, but because my skin has been able to capture all the cosmic effluvia. I am truly a drop of sun under the earth.” – Frank Fanon
7. “I didn’t really understand them until finally I realised that beauty was not a thing that I could acquire or consume, it was something that I just had to be.” – Lupita Nyong’o
8. “Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice
I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots” – Tupac Shakur
10. “I’m convinced that we Black women possess a special indestructible strength that allows us to not only get down, but to get up, to get through, and to get over.” – Janet Jackson
11. “…I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise.” – Maya Angelou